How to Create Story Pins
If you’re familiar with Pinterest and creating pins for your business then you’ve definitely heard all the buzz lately about Story Pins. In today’s post we’re sharing everything you need to know about Story Pins including steps to create your own Story Pins on Pinterest and helpful tips to make your Story Pins stand out.
What are Story Pins?
Just like all pins on Pinterest, Story Pins are designed to be a visual story. The different is – Story Pins tell an entire story from beginning to end with up to 20 pages of videos, images and text. If you have a Pinterest Business Account, you can create Story Pins to share multiple images and videos with custom text, ingredient lists, supply lists and more in one single pin.
Story Pins do not link to your website or blog so they won’t direct traffic to your site but they will help grow your audience and increase engagement on Pinterest.
When to Use Story Pins
Story Pins are great for recipes, step-by-step tutorials, and collections of similar ideas. They are also great when you want to share a simple DIY or quick recipe but don’t want to create an entire blog post about that one project. They are also great for sharing round-ups of your favorite products, recipes, ideas and more.
The three types of story pins include:
- Crafts and DIY Tutorials
- Something Else
How to Create Story Pins on Your Computer
- Click CREATE at the top of the page and click CREATE STORY PIN.
- Upload your pictures and/or videos.
- Select each individual image to design the layout, add text, and edit the color of each page. Once you’ve finished designing each page, click NEXT.
- Choose a theme for your Story Pin. This is where you will list the things people will need to bring your Story Pin to life. Click NEXT when you have finished listing ingredients, supplies, or anything else needed for your Story Pin.
- Type the title of your Story Pin.
- Choose the board you would like to save your Story Pin to and choose up to 10 tags related to your pin.
- Select PUBLISH.
How to Create Story Pins on Your Phone
- Click on the + at the bottom of the screen and select STORY PIN.
- Choose the category for your pin – recipes, craft + DIY, or something else.
- Select the photos and/or videos you would like to include in your story pin.
- Customize each page by editing the layout and adding text. You can also change the font and colors used on each page. Click NEXT.
- Give your Story Pin a title.
- Save to a relevant board.
- List materials, ingredients, supplies, etc.
- Add tags so people can find your pin when the search Pinterest. Click PUBLISH.
How to Edit Story Pins
Thankfully Story Pins are easy to edit and can be edited up to two weeks after publishing. Quickly edit the board you published it to, topic tags and details by clicking the edit icon. You can also delete pages, add a new page, or reorder pages.
Tips for Creating Story Pins
- Get creative with your Story Pins. Create covers in Canva or Picmonkey to add to your story pins to grab peoples attention.
- List ingredients, supplies, directions in the story pin so readers can get the full story in the pin.
- Add the URL to your website somewhere in the story pin so readers can find your site easily. Also, include a call to action so readers know to visit your profile for the link to your website.
- Include up to 10 related topic tags with each story so people can find your pin when searching Pinterest and when viewing similar pins.
- Story Pins are being released in phases so if you don’t have the access to them yet, you can request it HERE.
- You can save one Story Pin in your drafts when creating them on your phone and can save up to 50 drafts when creating Story Pins on your desktop.
It’s important to remember that people use Pinterest as a visual search engine and for inspiration. We recommend creating fresh pins, video pins and Story Pins on a regular basis. We think it’s important to create all 3 types of pins. We know that static pins will be the #1 driver of traffic to your site but we also know that people who pin story pins and video pins alongside their static pins are getting the most engagement. Most importantly, get creative with your pins and have fun creating them! Your hard work will pay off!
Need help creating pins and Story Pins? We can help! Contact us for more information.